Book Nomination Information/Process
See all past book award winners
The AAPOR Book Award recognizes books that have influenced our understanding of public opinion or survey research methodology.
To be eligible for the AAPOR Book Award a book must have been published three years prior to the year in which the award is given. For example, books available to be nominated for the 2017 award were published in 2014 or earlier. The “Fifty Books That Have Significantly Shaped Public Opinion Research 1946-1995” have already been recognized by AAPOR and are not eligible for the annual book award. See list at AAPOR.org.
Any AAPOR member can submit nominations for the Book Award. Nominations should identify the monograph and describe how it meets the criteria listed above, along with evidence of the book's reach and impact. Monographs or edited volumes by AAPOR and non-AAPOR members are eligible for the award.
Entries will be evaluated by a committee, chaired by AAPOR’s Councilor-at-Large. The award is presented at the annual meeting. Recognition will be in the form of plaques for each of the author(s) (or editor(s), in the case of an edited volume).
CRITERIA FOR BOOK AWARD:
The following criteria will be the basis for making an award to a book or monograph:
1. The excellence of exposition, ideas and methods.
2. The monograph’s impact with respect to:
- Stimulating theoretical or empirical research
- Influencing the way public opinion researchers think about or conduct research on public opinion
- Significantly influencing broader understanding of the theory or methods of public opinion
- Advancing the state of the art or practice of survey methodology.
3. Its lasting value, as indicated by (for example) the judgments of peers and citation in the literature.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: The submission period ends November 14, 2016.
72nd Annual AAPOR Conference
Sheraton New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana
May 18-21, 2017
INQUIRIES AND NOMINATIONS:
Nominations and any supporting documentation can sent via email to:
One Parkview Plaza
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181