ResearchHack (RH) is AAPOR’s very own version of the hackathon, originated by software companies to foster collaboration and innovation. The focus of RH 3.0 will be the U.S. Census Bureau’s Planning Database (PDB), which provides selected 2010 Census and American Community Survey demographic and socioeconomic estimates at various levels of geography and includes area-level Low Response Score (LRS) estimates. Hackers will be asked to identify possible uses of the PDB in survey research and develop a framework for user-friendly tools/apps to facilitate using the PDB. Hackers will present their ideas to our esteemed panel of judges, Jennifer Hunter Childs, Kathleen Kephart, and Peter Miller, at a special AAPOR session moderated by Trent Buskirk.
New in 2017!
To register for ResearchHack fill out the form here: AAPOR ResearchHack Registration Form
- RH 3.0 is open to all AAPOR members!
- The participation timeline has been streamlined and a pre-conference webinar will introduce hackers to the PDB
- Multiple prize levels! Prizes include gift cards, AAPOR website profiles, mentorship from senior AAPOR members, and a free short course at the 2018 conference
- Hackers receive a $50 discount* on their 2017 conference registration
Schedule of events
Tuesday, May 9th
Thursday, May 18
- 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. EDT - Pre-conference - Webinar
Friday, May 19
- 12:00 - 1:30 p.m. - Sponsored RH Kickoff Lunch
- 1:30 - 3:00 p.m. - Advisor and Team work sessions
- 3:00 - 5:30 p.m. (optional) - Team work session
- 7:00 - 9:30 p.m. (optional) - Team work sessions
Winners announced at Saturday evening banquet
- 8:00 - 9:30 a.m. (optional) - Census PDB session
- 10:00 - 11:30 a.m. - Hacker pitch session
*$50.00 Conference Registration Discount
Once your RH registration has been confirmed, you will receive a $50.00 discount conference registration code via email. If you have already registered for the conference, AAPOR will refund the $50.00 discount after the conference. Please note, you must participate in the Researchhack to receive the discount. If you do not participate, you will forfeit the discount and owe AAPOR the $50.00 discount.